Last year we were so impressed by the snow carving festival in Breckenridge that we decided to go again. There was a crazy sense of deja-vu as we walked from the car since the girls immediately picked up snow and started throwing snowballs at each other.
It was different however because I had a warm bundle strapped to me for the whole experience. Neither Jeremy nor I thought that purple was Kelton's color and had to borrow a snowsuit from a friend. He was super happy to be out and about and seemed to be super warm and comfy.
Before we reached the sculptures, we past by the sponsors square. The sponsors used clear blocks of ice for their carvings. We found a penguin.
An eskimo and whale.
And a great ice throne.
When we found the snow carvings the first thing I noticed was how crowded it was. I'm not really surprised since it was Saturday and the first viewing day since the carvings were completed, but it was still tricky to navigate with little kids. More than once I would turn around and McKenzie was simply not there. Once however we couldn't find her after a quick glance. I began to panic a little bit as Jeremy and I split up to go looking for her. It must not have been longer than a minute or two before I heard Jeremy calling my name. A family had found McKenzie and were just getting ready to take her to the policemen on the side of the festival when we found her. She was crying since she was scared and it kind of tainted the rest of the visit for her. I felt bad because really we had just gotten started, but she wanted to go home. The only thing that cheered her up was the snow slide we found. This was a very popular attraction. The slide was so slick that even after the kids got to the bottom, they kept sliding on their bums across the icy pavement.
It was a good thing we took pictures of the carvings because even now I can't remember them that clearly, we must have really rushed through it. As I look back though the pictures though I love looking at the details the artists put into some of the sculptures.
This was entitled "The Man in the Moon," and "The Dark Side of the Moon." The girls didn't like the dark side because the moon looked a little crazy with fangs. But he was smiling here so that was okay.
A fisherman unaware of the sea monster just below him.
I think this was was "Winter Sun," but we just thought they looked like fun snowflakes.
We thought Kelton would appreciate the dinosaur sculpture best.
This one had a butterfly...enough said. The girls thought this was their favorite.
Geometric balancing disks and a really buff husband.
Kids tubing down a hill and a silly face from Cambrie.
It's hard to see, but I love the spots they put on this Dalmatian behind Jeremy.
After the girls had their fill of the crowds and the sculptures, we headed to the river bed to play. The sledding hill wasn't as carved out this year so instead they built a snow tunnel. It didn't take long before every kid around was trying to help Jeremy and the girls put the tunnel together. The chunks of snow left over by the plows made quick work of construction.
Kelton had some freedom to play in the snow too. He was interested in what he was sitting in, but couldn't grab it because of his snowsuit. So he improvised and face planted to try to get some in his mouth. He wasn't even upset that his face had been covered with snow.
McKenzie was all worn out and tried taking a nap on my lap. It didn't really work but at least she got to rest a bit.
Too soon in my mind it was time to go. We left behind the snow covered streets, main street shop windows, and mountain views to head for home. I simple can't get enough of that town.
1 comment:
So fun! We should def plan a weekend trip next year!!
Post a Comment