Our next stop was the Public Garden. Years before I had found the "Make Way for Ducklings" statues and wanted to take pictures of them for the girls. It seems like every child in Boston also wanted their picture taken on the back of each little duckling. Believe it or not we sat there for nearly thirty minutes trying to take a simple picture. Someone had dressed up the ducklings with superhero caps that read "make way" and with the finisher medal around Mrs. Mallard's neck it was very appropriate for marathon super heroes.
Jeremy at the ducklings' private island.
Since we weren't on any type of schedule we slowly walked along the Freedom Trail. I couldn't walk very fast and any type of stairs or downhill slope was a challenge, but we made it to revolutionary cemeteries, the site of the Boston Massacre, Fanueil Hall, Paul Revere's house, and the Old North Church.
By then I was spent. I was getting dizzy again and was just really, really tired. I wish I had some of my short-sleeve Boston gear to wear that day because it would have helped explain why I looked so pathetic. But it was fun seeing other runners sunburned and hobbling around Boston. We shared war stories and helped each other feel like a six-hour marathon was actually a fantastic time. In contrast to before the race, I actually enjoyed seeing all the other runners this time around. I felt like I had been part of something historic. People will be talking about the heat of this race for a long time and I can say, "Hey, I was part of that! I remember that killer heat!" Maybe they should put my name in a history book huh?

No comments:
Post a Comment