Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sweet girls

I don't always write down all of the cute things my daughters do, and I need to be better at it.  Some of the next posts may be really short, but that's because they're just moments that make me smile.

We've spent the last few days feeling sick around our house.  The girls were hit with it first, then it was my turn.  It was really just a cold with a goofy cough, but it was enough to make all of us tired and lethargic.  Once the afternoon hits, I just don't have the energy to keep going so I've laid down for a nap on the couch.  Cambrie and McKenzie brought down blankets for me, pillows, and a few of their favorite stuffed animals for me to cuddle with.  The first day before I fell asleep, the girls decided that they wanted to dance for me.  So Cambrie got down the iPod and speakers, the girls went and put on skirts and dancing shoes, and they danced for me.  It was the cutest thing ever.  They were like little ballerinas dancing to lullabies. 

The next day while I was sleeping on the couch, McKenzie happened to be sleeping too so Cambrie entertained herself while we were resting.  But every few minutes during my nap I felt a small little kiss on my cheek and a small hand rubbing my shoulder, even occasionally adjusting my blanket for me.  Sometimes I can't believe how amazingly sweet my daughters are. 

Today Cambrie and I were shopping for new glasses for our kitchen.  We've been using Mason jars for years since we broke all of the cups we received for our wedding.   Part of me is kind of sad that this small part of poor student life is being shelved in the basement now, but part of me likes using a real cup.  As I was putting them into our cart at the store today Cambrie said, "Mommy, now you don't have to use jars anymore!  Doesn't that make you happy?!" 

As we were leaving for that shopping trip this afternoon, we decided that Kenzie would just stay home with Jeremy to simplify life.  But she didn't really like that idea.  She stood in front of the garage door blocking our way and crying, "Come wi you!  Come wi you!"  It broke my little heart but I was so proud that she spoke a new sentence that I've never heard before.  She is getting so much better.  Her best new sentence though is, "One more cookie?"

Last week I decided it was finally time to clean the house again after Christmas.  It was a big job and I had a lot to do.  Cambrie desperately wanted to help so I gave her the job of vacuuming all of the bathroom floors.  She was so proud to be helping.  She finished the floors so quickly that she also helped me dust and made all the beds in the house.  When Jeremy got home from work she took him on a grand tour of everything that she had cleaned.

McKenzie is very resourceful.  If she wants a snack and we're not around, she will find a way to get one.  I've had some Hershey's Kisses on the counter leftover from a party last week, and she knows they are there.  She'll pull over the barstool, climb up onto the counter, then crawl under the barstool while she unwraps the Kiss and eats it secretly. 

Cambrie has been saying the family prayer before bed.  McKenzie knows that she is supposed to fold her arms and be reverent.  But lately she has started whispering in our ears while Cambrie is praying.  We think she's trying to repeat what Cambrie is saying.  It makes me giggle.

When I get Kenzie ready for the day we get her dressed first then she goes straight to the bathroom counter where she sits while I brush her hair.  She insists that I put a bow in most days then gets down with a huge smile on her face when she's all prettied-up.  On the flip side, when it's time for a nap in the afternoon she rips out her bows and elastics before she sleeps so that when she wakes up she looks like a hooligan for the rest of the evening.

Kenzie calls her jacket, "jackie" and I think it is the cutest thing.  I can't help but call it a jackie myself because I don't want her to say it right yet.

McKenzie is also in love with her snow boots and red squeaky shoes.  She calls for her "eeky shoes" and will wear them all day stomping around the house to make them squeak.  She even occasionally naps with them on.

1 comment:

Caralee said...

So cute! I love it, and I'm glad you aren't drinking out of mason jars anymore! :)