Monday, November 1, 2010

On the job

Jeremy's first day of work was today.  After all of these months of knowing it was going to happen but waiting for things to fall into place, he's finally a workin' man.  His shift this morning started at 7:30, so he was up bright and early.  I took an official "first day" picture, but he looks so tired I just couldn't post it.  He slept horribly, waking up every hour afraid of missing his alarm.  The guy was nervous.  And I can't blame him; first day as Dr. Rogers DMD in his own office, knowing that if anything goes wrong it's his fault, learning all of the ropes of the existing practice, and just getting used to everything.  The funny thing is the office manager, Erin, couldn't sleep either because she was worried for him too.  We both got a kick out of that.  Apparently the day went pretty smoothly.  He is the youngest of the partners by far, and even younger than some of the office staff.  In fact, one of the hygienists has worked at this office for 12 years.  Even though Jeremy is now the "guy in charge," it's going to take some getting used to.  At Temple, he had to ask for each step to be checked off by the professors.  Apparently that's a hard habit to break because he had to bite his tongue multiple times to keep from asking the hygienists if it looked right to them.  As a patient, that's not really the kind of thing you want to hear from your dentist.  Besides that annoying habit, he said he felt really confident and is excited to really get in the swing of things.  I am too quite frankly.  His schedule it going to take some getting used to, but it seems really manageable.  He works five days a week.  If one of those days in Saturday, then he gets another day off during the week.  Each shift is six hours long, so it will either be 7:30-1:30, or 1:30-7:30.  Every couple of weeks he will have a 12 hour shift...that will be long.  Luckily they're not very often.  Regardless of which shift he has, that means he's home half the day.  Can you believe it?  The only thing that is going to drive me crazy, is that it changes every week. So I never know, for example, if he's free Tuesday night so I can go to a Relief Society activity.  I'll just have to keep an eye on the calendar.  I'm just grateful that he's finally started working.  I had no idea that we'd be here six weeks before that happened....but I guess having him home all this time has made up for being apart during the summer.  I'm so proud of my hard-working husband.  Great job hun.

6 comments:

aubrie said...

Yay for Jeremy, that is great. That first day has got to be so strange, after working toward it for so long!

This is me! said...

That is so exciting! Good luck, and I'm sure the whole routine will fall into place soon!

teresa said...

aaah, that's so exciting! good good luck!

Mike and Amber said...

So good to hear that everything is working out! Congrats to you guys!! His schedule sounds pretty nice (even if it's a little confusing to keep straight)!

jor said...

Hooray!!! That is so exciting! I'm sure it is a big change...but he will keep doing great. Even though the schedule is different, it is awesome he is home half the day!

oh, and Evrett it have a lot of costumes...but they were all old ones from the other boys. We actually didn't buy a single costume this year :)

Lyman Family said...

So exciting! You SO deserve to have life finally together, and settled, and all of the wonderful things happening to you as a family. And how great that he'll be home half the day! Tell Dr. Rogers that we're proud of him--and you, too!