Wednesday, July 22, 2026

BTSC Sharks

Summer swim team was exactly what Daxton needed. He made so much progress from his first meet where he was too scared and inexperienced to even diving off the blocks, to being able to handle a prelims/finals meet situation at the end of the season. He experimented with the 50 free, 50 breast, 100 free, 100 IM, relays, and even the 200 free. He learned how to read heat sheets, and dive off the blocks at the right whistle. He learned that he actually really enjoys swimming. 






At one meet I was one of the stroke judges and had to DQ him because his butterfly kick wasn't legal. He was so upset when he came to me and learned that I had disqualified him. However on the drive home he asked me the most mature question I've ever heard from him, "Mom. What can I do to get better at butterfly." He didn't wallow, he seriously wanted to know how to improve and I had to savor the moment. Maybe sometimes these kids actually are learning something. 

Decorating the car for the championship meet.


The championship meet was a little rough. We knew he didn't have enough experience to qualify for the finals, but he had a chance in the 200 free since not many kids swim that event. The water at VMAC was so cold that he had trouble breathing. He had to stop at the 100 mark just to calm himself down. I couldn't get close enough to encourage him, and he was so wound up that he just climbed out of the pool. Later that day though, after he had successfully swam the 50 free, he told me that he thinks he could be successful if he tried the 200 again. 



Relays were fun for him. His teammates were so nice.

Still working on that dive. This was his best one of the season! (Lane 2)

That's what I loved about this season, not just the fact that I was in heaven on a pool deck, but he really grew so much. He's looking for a team this fall to keep swimming and I hope it is as successful as this great summer he had with the Sharks.

No comments: