I was hunting for point-heavy races that I could use towards my pro card. I found this random race in New York, Survival of the Shawangunks, and decided to give it a try. It was completely different than any race I've done before. It started with a 30 mile bike ride, followed by a 4.3 mile run, 1 mile swim, 5.6 mile run, 1/2 mile swim, 8 mile run, 1/3 mile swim, 1/2 mile run. It was wild, and not just because of the race format but because of how everything played out the night before the race. I was reassembling my bike and accidentally pinched and cut a critical wire for my bike shifting. I and other athletes tried splicing it together but that didn't work. So I randomly reached out to a pro who lives in the area, Bec Wassner, asking if she knew anyone with an extra bike I could borrow. She invited me up to her home and let me borrow her husband's bike. It wasn't set up for racing, but it would get me from point A to point B. I was so grateful!
Race morning I was up way too early and just kept hoping I was ready for this adventure.

The bike was uneventful, and the borrowed bike did it's job.
The first run was a trail run and I was having so much fun in the dirt. When it came time to get in the first lake for the swim I just hoped I knew what I was doing. I stashed my shoes down my tri kit and hoped for the best. My swim felt slow, but I thought it was just my imagination. The next run was absolutely gorgeous! They talk about stopping to have a Shawangunk moment, but I was going for a podium finish and it's not like I had my camera with me anyway. But the views of the mountains were incredible.
The second swim was in another lake and went off without a hitch. I was most nervous about the third run since it was the longest at 8 miles. Unlike most races I do, this race was very isolated in the mountains and I was alone almost the entire race. I ran past families out for a morning stroll, rock climbers and hikers. It was pretty and quiet out there. The last swim was the shortest and I finally realized why my swims felt so slow, where I stuck my shoes was causing so much drag it was absolutely killing my time. I couldn't fix it by then though and was a touch disappointed I didn't catch that earlier.
The last run is a joke. It is straight up a cliff to a lookout! I kind of ran, kind of walked up the steep slope and was looking for that watchtower at the top. I made it! It was freezing up there and I was so cold from being constantly wet. Even though I wanted to stay and enjoy the moment, I needed to get warm more.

I think I might have to go back and try again. That was so much fun!
Fun pics from the next morning of recovery in New Paltz.
I found a hiking trail to move my legs and hoped I hadn't pushed them too hard the day before.
See that tower on top? That was the finish!
Too hot for hot chocolate so I thought I'd try frozen hot chocolate. Good...weird...my favorite part was the whipped cream.
Bonus time meant I went and checked out the Vanderbilt Mansion.















No comments:
Post a Comment