Saturday, January 7, 2023

McKenzie is 13!

Happy birthday McKenzie!  We officially have another teenager in the house.  Wow, that is weird.  The poor girl had to go to school on her birthday, but she still got her banana chocolate chip scone for breakfast!  


We even squeezed in time for her to open one of her gifts before she left for school.  It's a heavy box to be bopping her on the head with, but she didn't seem to mind.  




She got a pogo stick.  She practiced all morning, determined to hop through her wall of balloons.  


She didn't get a chance to open any of her other presents until after gymnastics.  She got some new glow-in-the-dark stars for her bedroom, a donut baking kit, and a new fuzzy rug for her bedroom.  She definitely has one of the most styled rooms in the house now. 








It was her year for a friend party and she chose to go to an escape room with her friends.  About half of them have done escape rooms before so they knew what to expect.  It was the first time for the other half.  The girls had one hour to solve all of the riddles to unlock the door.  I waited out in the front room while they worked at it so I didn't get to see how they did, but I heard occasional conversations with their front desk helper.  That particular room only has a 37% success rate and I honestly wasn't sure if they would be able to make it out in time.  They did, with only 16 sec. to spare!  As we were driving back home, the girls wanted me to turn around so they could attempt another room because they had so much fun.  


Back at the house we kept things really simple: food and hanging out time.  I set up everything I thought the partying girls would need then I went back upstairs to let them party.  I came down for cake, which was delicious.  








And for presents at the end.  McKenzie has such a gift for being a gracious gift receiver.  She makes you feel like you give the perfect give every time.  She went around and gave each one of her friends a huge heartfelt hug and thank you. 


 The friends she invited came from church, school, the neighborhood and gymnastics.  There were five middle schools represented among the seven girls.  McKenzie was an amazing hostess and made each one of them feel welcomed and included.  Her gift with people is astounding.  


Happy birthday sweetheart!  I can't wait to see who you grow up to be.

No comments: