The training volume has been high these last couple weeks as I prepare for Kona. I was still surprised though to see a 26.2 mile training run on my schedule. The instructions from Dan were "I want you eating and drinking like it's a picnic." So I set up an aid station at the pavilion around McKay Lake and prepared for a long morning and a lot of 1.5 mile laps around that lake. I really didn't want to do it alone, so I sent out a text message to every runner friend in the ward that I know. I basically pled with them to come join me, one lap, two laps, I didn't care. I bribed them with food and even said I'd go at their pace if they would simply come to keep me company. I found it hilarious that I've never hosted a girls night or planned a girls day out. However, here I was, planning my first day of fun and it happened to be a crazy long run around the lake. Even more hilarious was the fact that my friends actually came! Lindsay showed up first. Jen and Aimee popped in and then left. I had about six miles on my own in the middle, but then Afton and Heather showed up. As I had one lap left Aimee and Jen came back. It was perfect.


Every lap we stopped for a drink and for a quick bite of fuel before taking off again. I felt incredible and was able to hold a steady 8:20 pace without any problems at all. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the long day, but these ladies make it so much fun! It felt more like a party than a training session.

No comments:
Post a Comment