Saturday, September 3, 2022

Maroon Bells

I have always wanted to hike Maroon Bells.  It's one of those iconic Colorado mountain scenes you see on postcards in gift shops.  We tried to hike it as a family back in 2020, but a mud slide washed out I-70 that weekend and we couldn't access it.  We haven't scheduled a trip down again because it requires a good chunk of driving time to get to Aspen, but it's still been on my list.  On Saturday Jeremy needed to drive down to Grand Junction to pick up a bike.  He had a great idea to make a day of the journey.  We picked up his bike, drove to the mouth of the canyon, rode our bikes up to the trailhead, and hiked from there.  Just the two of us.  It was simple, fast and so pretty.  I expected the hike to be longer and harder than it was, so when we were to the top in a little over an hour it was a nice surprise.  The trail was rocky, but shaded by my favorite aspen trees.  


Crater Lake was sadly more of Crater puddle.  It looks like the drought has hit it hard, but the mountains were still glorious.  



We stayed up there admiring the view until the sun started to set and we made our way back down.  




I'm grateful for a husband who has fun spontaneous ideas like this.

No comments: