The girls always get excited about the Mustang Mile, but this year was even better because McKenzie was old enough to run. She asked me to run with her which meant that Cambrie had to do it alone this year. I don't think I could have run with all those big kids anyway! The girls all lined up with their grades and did a fun dance warm-up with the school. I was standing next to a sleepy-head Kelton and couldn't get a good picture of the girls dancing, but they were pretty happy about it.
McKenzie with Aubri at the starting line.
Cambrie lined up and ready to go.
The fifth graders went first since they were competing for cross country slots, and then the kindergartners went next. I jumped in with McKenzie and she did great for about 100 yards then said she was tired. She doesn't do much continuous running so I wasn't surprised. It was nice for McKenzie that I was there because she simply held on to the stroller as I gently pulled her along. About half-way we met up with Aubri and ran with her.
At the finish line we camped out and waited for Cambrie. She looked like we felt great. It was nice that it wasn't too hot this year.
After the race all of the friends started to gather. I love, love, love that these girls have so many friends!
That was also a life saver for me this year as I needed their moms' help keeping track of them. Kelton wanted to stay on the big inflatable slide and we rode it 13 times in a row. The girls on the other hand wanted to go play the carnival games and earn some tickets. McKenzie left with Jen who had Aubri, Brody, and Brielle in tow. She took them to the carnival games, to get cotton candy, fed them dinner, and even stood in line to redeem their tickets.
Cambrie wandered off with Ella. At one point she was also with Olivia M., and Brynlee but they were separated and took care of themselves. Luckily Cambrie came and checked in with me often enough that I at least knew where she was. I'm grateful we live in a great neighborhood and go to a great school so I can let me kids do that. The only way I was able to get Kelton away from the slide was to bribe him with chips and juice. He would have stayed all night long had I let him. This year was also excellent for the girls because as they redeemed their tickets, they were each able to get exactly what they wanted. In years past they always seem to run out of the best prizes at the beginning of the night. I left with three happy, and exhausted kiddos.
No comments:
Post a Comment