The girls have been counting down the days until school starts for about a month. We found a pencil box under Cambrie's bed the night before and she opened it, sniffed, and said, "It smells like school! I love the smell of school!" That's always a good sign. I didn't have to push either one of them out of bed at 6:40, they did it all by themselves. They didn't complain about getting dressed. They didn't complain about brushing their hair. They didn't complain about making their beds. They didn't even complain when I asked to take pictures. They just wanted to get to school.
It makes me smile to see my girls side by side. They are growing up in the same house with basically the same wardrobe because of hand-me-downs, but their styles are so completely different.
I had to run to keep up with them on the walk to school.
We arrived at school a few minutes early so we could get some pictures. We were lucky to find so many of our friends waiting too. These 3rd grade girls all have siblings in kindergarten together. I love that we have so many buddy friends.
We had to say good-bye to McKenzie in the hug and kiss zone. She bravely stood in line by her teacher but told me that she was feeling shy and didn't really want to talk in class. That didn't surprise me and I told her she didn't have to if she didn't want to, but that she would probably have so much fun she'd change her mind. Cambrie gave a quick wave before heading off to her classroom which is in a pod this year.
McKenzie is doing morning kindergarten so Kelton and I walked up to get her before lunch. When I picked her up she had a huge smile on her face. "What was your favorite part?" I asked her. "Everything!" She said. She told me they read stories, sang songs, colored, played games, and had recess. I think this picture of her walking home paints a pretty good picture of how she was feeling after her first day of kindergarten.
Later that day I returned to pick up Cambrie and I had a very similar experience. "Mom, I love, love, love, love my teacher!" That is definitely what a mom wants to hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment