Saturday, April 18, 2015

Bye-Bye Blankie

Kelton received this blanket from my friend Polly at a baby shower.  He has chosen it as "his blankie."  He cuddles with it every nap, every night, and for every sad moment.  We have loved it...for the most part.  The beautiful crochet that Polly did around the edge is his favorite part.  He picks at it so that loops come out of the trim.  Then he puts the loop around his wrist so he doesn't have to carry it around.  While that seems like a really great idea, it has become a big problem.  One night Jeremy went in to check to see what Kelton was fussing about and saw that the blanket had pinned him down.  His wrist was through the loop, his arm was around his back, and his body was holding it all in place.  Kelton was totally stuck and couldn't move.  In the mornings I would go to pick him up and he'd say, "Stuck. Stuck."  Sometimes the loops were twisted so tightly that they left red indents on him wrists for hours after we removed the blanket.  It was obviously time for something to be done about his beloved blanket.  I cut off all of the beautiful crochet and replaced it with a satin blanket binding.  Kelton was so sad the first day I gave him his new blankie.  His fingers went to the edge and started picking at the yarn that wasn't there.  He actually rejected his blanket for two days because he was so mad it had changed.  He has since welcomed it back into his life, and I'm simply glad I don't have to worry about it injuring him anymore.

1 comment:

sara cardon said...

I love how you capture all of these "little" things about your kids' lives too-- like the nightstand post as well. They will love being able to look back and read them, plus the big stuff they will most likely remember, but I think these little details that get forgotten as they grow up, will be so fun for them!