Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Thankful 13

I like running simple, fun races on Thanksgiving morning.  Partially because I am thankful my body is healthy enough to run, partially because I think it is a good family tradition, and partially because then I don't feel as guilty eating Thanksgiving dinner.  This year, instead of running a standard 5K, Camille talked me into running a half marathon.  It was a little intimidating getting back into the running game after Kelton was born, but I was going to do it so my sister and I could have a fun bonding experience.  That morning I picked up Hannah to come cheer for us and met Camille there.  It was a chilly morning, as expected, but luckily we warmed up quickly as we ran.  The race started at Thanksgiving Point, ran through the streets of Lehi and along the Jordan River Trail.  Along the course there were signs made by the race directors that had things some of the runners were thankful for, things such as "My husband who is probably trying to catch up to me." "My kids." "My shoes for not giving me blisters." and "A thankful holiday season."  Because we were just out there to have a good time, we did have a good time.  

Inevitably we started growing tired and it became my job to keep talking to keep us going.  With a half mile to go we ran into cheerleader Hannah and we were given a new burst of speed to make it up the final hill.  Then as we entered into the final stretch we saw our dad who had driven down just for us.  I must admit that seeing Camille conquer the course and seeing my dad along the sidelines made me start to cry.  Thank goodness for sunglasses.  We crossed the finish line with a time of 1:59.12, just as Camille had hoped to do.  At the finish line we had turkey medals waiting for us and pumpkin pie.  Thanksgiving dinner was definitely more satisfying that afternoon after a quick morning run :)

No comments: