Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Elk Creek

We decided to take the family camping for Labor Day weekend.  We hadn't reserved a spot earlier simply because we didn't know if Kelton could handle it or not.  So when it came time to find a place everything was booked.  We put our name on a wait list at Elk Creek and kept our fingers crossed.  Luckily for us there was a cancellation and we were able to go camping!  The drive to the campground was simply breath taking.  We drove through Rocky Mountain National forest and I was so impressed with the view.  The road climbed up to 12,200 feet along step cliffs and across precarious ridges before dropping back down to forested land.  We were in a hurry to get to the campground before it became too dark so we didn't stop at any of the lookouts along the way, but we fixed that on the return trip.

Since we came straight from Jeremy's race we had a couple tired kids.  

Once we arrived at Elk Creek I was very surprised to see ten families from the other ward up there.  I had forgotten that last year they all came up together for the weekend and realized that they were now making this trip a tradition.  It was great for the girls because suddenly they had all of their best friends to play with for the weekend.  We set up camp in the rain and hoped the weather would clear in time for dinner.  We got lucky and didn't have to eat in the rain, but it meant going to bed fairly early.  

Kelton hung out inside the tent during the rain.  Take a good look at his cute little face because it's the last picture we have of him before he sunburned the next day.  

I was nervous about keeping us all warm through the night since the temperatures were supposed to drop into the 40's, but we were all fine and even Kelton only woke up to eat.  The next morning was chilly but the girls didn't care.  They were off on a mission to play with their buddies as early as possible.  

After awhile we gathered everyone up and went hiking to Adam's Falls with the group.  It was a short hike that passed a waterfall and ended at a little pond.  At first everyone was concerned about staying dry as they walked along the shore.  



But it didn't take long before kids started getting their feet wet, 

then wading up to their knees, 

then ultimately wading in up to their necks as they played.  Cambrie's triplet friends, Carrie, Sara, and Abby were little daredevils.  Abby and her little brother swam from shore to shore with a $5 bribe from their dad.  Carrie went next followed by Sara.  Cambrie was right there watching them when she decided she would do it too.  Of course a $5 bribe from their dad helped too.  She struggled with the decision to get in but finally decoded to do it and she too swam across the icy pond.  It was a cold, wet hike back to the car.  

Just as the girls changed into warm clothes and started playing back at camp, it rained.  I think every child in camp went through three pairs of clothes that afternoon in a futile attempt to stay dry.

After lunch McKenzie and I were headed to the sink to wash our dishes when I looked to my left and saw a huge moose 15 feet away happily chomping on the trees.  We quickly and carefully turned back to get the camera.  It didn't take long for the campers to gather and admire the moose.  Apparently moose come through the campground almost daily but the just eat and pass through.  We grew more comfortable having him there as we realized he really wasn't going to disturb anybody.  

The girls went back to the campsite to continue digging their hole and Jeremy and I continued to admire the moose.  

Jeremy commented that the moose was on a path straight towards our tent.  I looked and saw that Kelton was laying right in the moose's path.  It was time for us to vacate our spot.  We picked up, moved to the other side of the clearing, and continued watching the moose as he stepped around our chairs, over the girls bikes, and to the back of our tent looking for yummy food.  I think our tent blocked his customary path because he tried to find a way around our tent before giving up and going a different way.  It was definitely an experience.  

While at camp Jeremy was able to go on a couple of mountain bike rides on some winding trails. 

I went running with Vanessa and Kim to a pond covered in lily pads and came back to find our path crowded by a baby moose and its parent.  The girls rode their bikes through camp, played on the playground with friends, splashed in the stream, blew bubbles, and generally had a good time.  At least I assume so since I hardly saw them at all during the day :)  

The tundra was absolutely gorgeous!  I felt like I belonged in some Lord of the Rings movie with this scenery.  And I am ashamed to admit that it didn't take me as long as I thought it would to wrap my baby boy up in a pink blanket...it was the only one readily available and it was really windy.  

Another elevation shot.

The girls were really concerned about following the rules about not stepping on the tundra plant life.  

Here they are showing me how fast 100 mph goes.  

My girls at 12,000 feet.

Cambrie wanted a silly face picture with the forest below.  

McKenzie had to go to the bathroom and we told her to hold it.  This is her "holding it."  Brings a smile to my face every time I see it.  It really was a great way to spend the weekend.

No comments: