Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween

We love Halloween around here.  I'm not sure if it is the excitement of the changing seasons, the anticipation of the candy, or the joy of costume wearing but we have a great time.  Each year we carve pumpkins I expect the girls to be over their repulsion of the pumpkin guts.  Yet each year they grimace and groan as they pull out the slime from inside. 
 
When it came time to trace out their patterns on the pumpkins, Cambrie chose a ghost and McKenzie chose a spider.  The patterns had little holes punched in them so the girls could color the pattern with markers instead of poking it with pins. 
 
McKenzie was sure acting scared of her spider when she was done. 
 
We were able to get a picture of the girls the next morning with their creations. 
 
Waiting for trick-or-treating to start is the longest part of the day for my girls.  They had planned on going out with our neighbor, Jacob, and meeting up with Audrey and Brynlee for part of it.  But waiting for their friends seemed to take forever for the girls!  The sun was setting as the girls were getting ready to leave and I love the sunset colors in the background. 
 
The girls wandered around outside while waiting for their friends to arrived.  As they walked next door they had a spooky surprise.  Jacob's dad had installed a spooky skeleton would popped up from his coffin when kids called out "trick-or-treat!"  Throughout the night I heard so many girls crying outside because they were scared.  It was actually quite entertaining. 
 
The princesses were escorted by a Batman/Spiderman combo of a friend. 
 
This year Jeremy took the girls out while I stayed at home passing out candy.  I've never actually had that job before but it was fun to see all of the kids in their costumes.  The whole night I had the line from the girls' story book rolling through my head, "The night was filled with laughter and the cries of 'trick-or-treat!"  The girls got back about an hour later and were totally exhausted, but they had enough energy to dump out their buckets to count their bounty.
 
  McKenzie immediately stuffed two, and then three lollipops in her mouth at the same time.  She just couldn't decide which one was best. 
 
I had turned on Phantom of the Opera to watch while the girls were gone and they got back just in time for "Masquerade."  McKenzie loves her princess dress because it spins so remarkably well, and she couldn't pass up the opportunity to dance to the music.  The girls were so tired that they went to bed remarkably well and have been happily munching on their candy ever since.  Happy Halloween folks!

No comments: