Monday, July 14, 2008

Palmyra and Niagara Falls

This weekend was full of unexpected adventure. Jeremy and I got in the car and drove the 5 1/2 hours to upstate New York to see the Palmyra Pageant. The Palmyra Pageant is an annual presentation that portrays stories from the Book of Mormon and the Restoration of the Gospel. It is a wonderful experience, made even more meaningful by the fact that it is shown on the Hill Cumorah and is just three miles away from the Sacred Grove. This was my second time seeing it, but it was just as inspiring as the first time. Before the performance was probably Cambrie's favorite time. She got to run around with Hailey and Ashlyn and was especially attracted to the cute Nephite boys. She eventually fell asleep and then Jeremy and I could enjoy the performance.

Mommy, mommy, look! I want one!

The next day we went to the Smith Farm, the Sacred Grove, the Palmyra Temple grounds, and the printing shop where they published the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon. It is an incredible experience to be able to walk where the Prophet Joseph Smith received so much inspiration from our Heavenly Father. We are so blessed that a 14-year-old boy was humble enough to follows God's instruction to restore His great church.

The Sacred Grove

The Palmyra Temple

After we were done visiting Palmyra, we decided to drive the 1 1/2 extra hours to visit Niagara Falls. Jeremy was hoping to do this for last spring break but it didn't work out. So on a whim (and a little prodding from the Farnsworths) we drove to Canada. We weren't planning on this trip, so we didn't have any of our birth certificates. They don't bother telling you when you enter the country that you are going to need them to get out....luckily our US Customs officer was very understanding and let us off the hook. Otherwise we would have been stuck in Ontario for a little while longer.

Since we are poor students on a budget, we picked one attraction to experience, The Maid of the Mist. The Maid of the Mist is a ferry that takes you right up to the base of both the American and Canadian Falls. It is a wet experience with all of the spray that comes from the water falls so they give you sweet ponchos that luckily come in Cambrie's size too. Jeremy and I were having a great time, Cambrie on the other hand...let's just say that she doesn't even like the shower. As soon as we were on the boat it started to rain. No problem right? We're already protected, but it made Cambrie pretty miserable. She spent the whole trip tucked away under her poncho and trying to bury herself into my shoulder.

Before...
During...
After...

Don't worry, she did calm down. It continued to rain while we walked up and down the overlook, so we just put Jeremy's poncho over the entire stroller. She was much happier in her little tent. Cambrie was a trooper and I'm sure she'll look back over this experience and laugh someday :)

3 comments:

Kendra Owens said...

How cute and fun. I love Palmyra. It has such a special spirit to it. Cambrie is so cute in those pictures. Thanks for all the posts, its fun to keep up on everything.

erin and todd said...

I am so jealous! I would love to take a trip to Palmyra and Niagra Falls. Too bad it's across the country for us. Oh, by the way, your little girl is such a cutie!

Natalie said...

I seriously started to crack up when I scrolled to the last picture on this post! It was so unexpected... in all the other pictures, Cambrie's nice and calm. And then you see the last picture. So funny! Looks like you had lots of fun. :)