Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Six Flags "Great Adventure"

It has been a couple of years since Jeremy and I have been on a roller coaster ride, so when a two-for-one coupon for Six Flags became available, we said, "Why not?!" The Wehmanns were kind enough to watch Cambrie for us so it was a much needed grown-up day. The day started out good enough (besides the line to buy parking tickets). We entered the park and just started hitting the rides one by one. First it was Superman, then The Great American Scream Machine, then my favorite, Kingda Ka. This ride is the fastest and tallest roller coaster in the world! It launches you from 0-128 MPH in 3.7 seconds. It was so fast that I was worried about the wind ripping my contacts from my eyeballs. You shoot forward then follow the track as it go STRAIGHT up, tops the hill and falls STRAIGHT down. It was absolutely incredible. After that, all of the other coasters were just for fun. It was a very hot day and we went through a lot of free refills (I never thought I'd be thankful for a souvenir cup). We found ourselves on other rides such as Medusa, Nitro, The Dark Knight (a sad disappointment), and another favorite, El Toro. I find it amusing that one of my favorite rides at good ol' Lagoon is the white wooden roller coaster, and my second favorite at Six Flags is the giant wooden roller coaster. What do they say, "the oldies and goodies?" That particular roller coaster is faster and more powerful than you would expect. I launched out of my front row seat many, many times during the ride.

Now this is where the "Great Adventure" really begins. Around five-o'clock, we realized that my phone was no longer in Jeremy's cargo pockets. We had no idea the last time we had seen it or where we had lost it. The only thing we could do was hope that it had been turned into lost and found. Since there worrying wouldn't solve anything, we finished out the day and had some good final rides. Around 6:30 we decided we should be responsible parents and go home to Cambrie. Once we were out in the parking lot, Jeremy came to the horrifying conclusion that his keys had disappeared at the same time as my phone. What were we supposed to do? I didn't bring my spare set, it was locked safely in our apartment an hour away. A locksmith came and unlocked the car for us, but unfortunately we had taken out the spare key earlier in the year. I didn't just feel bad that someone had to come and rescue us, but the Farnsworths were with us also and their two girls were being babysat. By the time we would get home, dinner and bed time would have come and gone for all of our girls. Not to mention, Jeremy and I were locked out of our apartment once we did get home. I'm just glad that my husband is clever enough to find a way for me to squeeze through a bedroom window. Thankfully we have very generous and understanding friends. Eric came and rescued us in his jeep. The Wehmanns and Marshs were willing to babysit a couple hours longer. The Farnsworths let us borrow their car today so Jeremy and I could drive back up to Six Flags to rescue our stranded car. And to top it off, the Security officers at the park even jump started our Jetta today since it wouldn't start. What should have been a carefree day of fun, turned into a multiple day adventure that has finally come to an end, at least I hope so.

1 comment:

sara cardon said...

What a day!!! Oh my goodness!! I can just imagine the shock and horror of realizing you had no keys!! Probably a "better" rush than any of those roller coasters.:) I'm glad you finally made it home safe and sound....