Sunday, November 16, 2025

IMAZ

This is it, the last race of the season. It has been a long, rewarding season and I can't think of a better way to end it than at Arizona. Last year this was a break through race for me, and while that came with a certain amount of pressure, I also knew that all I could do was relax, do my best, and enjoy the journey. It was the best way I could have gone into the race mentally and I was ready to savor the weekend.

Pre-race photo shoot with Jeremy.

This is definitely my favorite one of the weekend.


Race prep at the expo. So grateful for this guy who gets me to every start line.


Race morning was so relaxed. The weather was pleasantly warm and I wasn't shivering nearly as much as last year. The water was also supposed to be much warmer so I wasn't worried about freezing there either. I've spent this season trying to make new friends. There is some turnover from race to race, and even from 70.3s to 140.6s. But I am starting to feel more like I belong and less like an interloper. I know that those feelings will come and go, but I am so blessed that I get to line up with these professional women. 

I love this shot that Jeremy captured of the swim start. It somehow captures the calm in the chaos for me.



The swim went just fine. I wasn't crazy fast, but I wasn't super slow either. I swam with a pack somewhat successfully for the first half and I was proud of that growth. Still work to do there though.

Onto the bike I was hoping for a fast day. My watts were low, but my mph were fast. I realized that I was going to ride sub 5:00 for the first time ever and I was so excited about that.
 


I was most nervous about the run because of the collapse I had at Chattanooga. I also had the memory of being so successful here last year and that was a lot of pressure. I felt solid the first lap, started fading on the second, and by the time I started the third I started fading. I needed more hydration and more calories. I faked my way through with some Tylenol and was determined to stay under 3:30. If I could do that then I could go sub 9:30 and that was a target I was willing to suffer for.


I wanted to smile as I entered that finish chute, but I was worried about Leslie behind me, about fainting as I crossed, about not believing that I was seeing my time correctly, and about just feeling exhausted. I need to work on that finish line smile.

I love that he was there to cheer me on!

I did it! 18th place and feeling pretty good about that. Just 1:30 faster and I would have crossed the line with legend Meredith Kessler. I still can't believe I'm on course with these ladies. It was a crazy race with a lot of retiring pros: Meredith Kessler, Dede Griesbauer, Mel McQuaid, Simone Dailey, and Jodie Stimpson.

Swim 59:49, Bike 4:57:34, Run 3:26:56, Overall 9:27:21

When I finished I was just so cold. I put on every layer I had and was finally comfortable. Time to keep those cozy clothes on and enjoy the off season.

No comments: