Saturday, June 3, 2023

Revel Rockies 1/2

Jeremy and his boys at the office all decided to run the Revel Rockies Half Marathon, and at the last minute I decided to join them.  It was surprising how hard it was to gather my gear for just a half marathon.  What do I wear?  What fuel do I take?  How do I warm up?  I know, ridiculous questions for someone who has run thirteen miles hundreds of time in her life.  However, it's been awhile since either one of us has done a stand alone half so we kind of felt like newbies.  It was a ridiculously early morning since we needed to catch a bus up to the start line.  It was chilly up top but not too outrageous.  Jeremy and I had our three separate warm-ups to keep the blood moving so that helped. 


 When it came time to line up at the start line they obviously wanted the fastest runners near the front.  We were both intimidated and didn't want to be that close but no one else stepped up so we ended up right near that start line.  We were hoping to run sub-1:30 which is about a 6:38 pace.  Yikes.  It was a downhill course so we just went for it.  Jeremy and I ran together the first five miles or so feeling really good and enjoying the descent.  We had a little running buddy with us for a time but he eventually dropped off.  I was feeling good so I took off with Jeremy close behind.  The course was so beautiful.  It ran along a stream down the canyon, and with the overcast clouds the whole thing was awesome.  I tried not to do too much math as I ran and simply counted on those miles staying under 6:40 the whole time.  I was pretty alone up near the front but knew there were a handful of people ahead of me.  I didn't quite know where I placed as I crossed that finish line but I knew it was pretty good.  I had to finish throwing up before I could look at my results.  I took 1st in my age group, 5th female, on 19th overall.  I was pretty happy with that.  I loved seeing Jeremy cross the finish line so quickly after me.  I'm glad that he had such a great race as well.  It isn't the same kind of atmosphere as an Ironman, but it was still a whole lot of fun.  

Watch time put me at 1:26:21, and Jeremy at 1:30:04.  Good job us!

No comments: