Thursday, May 5, 2022

Cuevas del Drach

One of the activities that was on my bucket list last time I visited Mallorca was the Cuevos del Drach. Unfortunately the only way to get there by car as the buses don't run there very easily. When I was there with Jocelyn we relied solely on the buses and our bikes, so it wasn't an option. This time I just bit the bullet and rented a car so that we could explore. I am so glad we did. We took our time getting out there and were expecting something small based on our past experiences with caves. I was very surprised when at the entrance to the cave there was a huge queue of people nearly 200 people long. I couldn't fathom how a cave could support that many visitors. They slowly let us trickle in and we wandered the pathway through the cave. I've seen quite a few caves, but this one was unique. Because of the very porous rock there were a ton of straws from the ceiling. I've never seen so many stalactites in my life. Some were little, some were big, but they covered every inch of the ceiling. This cave also had underground lakes which was unique for me. The color in the lakes was a beautiful blue because of the minerals in the water. And as we wandered through the walkways I kept thinking how awesome of a cave this was. 







At the end of the tour we were led into a giant natural auditorium next to an underground lake. They had built benches and everyone in the tour
 took a seat before they turned out the lights. From off in the distance we could see lights turn on lighting three little row boats and we heard music starting to play. The three glowing row boats rowed slowly towards us as a quartet played classical music. It felt very phantom of the opera-esque, but in a beautiful sort of way. With all of the lights off we could only see the glowing boats and hear the flowing music. The quartet played four songs for us out on the lake. I didn't want them to finish because it was so ethereal. 



After the concert was finished the lights were turned back on, and we were able to hop aboard the boats to row across to the other side of the lake before exiting. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.



No comments: