It's time. I've been toying with the idea of going back to substitute teach for awhile now, and I even went through the background check process this summer. When I realized that I had to submit a resume for my application I chickened out and didn't finish the process. It's intimidating creating a resume when I haven't worked for twelve years! I finally finished all the paperwork and training and am now an official employee of the district. My first job was Daxton's kindergarten class. I thought that the stakes were pretty low for kindergarten and I at least have a general idea of who some of the kids are. I felt like the first part of the day went really well. I was trying to remember all of my education and it was tough. All of the tips and tricks I have for classroom management are definitely coated with dust and more than a little rusty. It was a very cold day which meant we had indoor recess, which meant the kids were wild. After lunch I had a kid building a spaceship out of a chairs, and when approached about it he started throwing the chairs around the room. That was about the time the paras came to get him. I had a kid pee in the bathroom. And every time I turned around I had a kid who just knew better what was supposed to be going. By the end of the day my throat was raw and I was losing my voice. I was absolutely exhausted. I wasn't terribly surprised because I need to adjust to a full day of work. Come to find out I was actually getting sick and spent the next day napping, taking warm baths, and trying to talk as little as possible. I don't believe it was entirely the kindergarteners' fault, but it was still rough! Regardless of all of the chaos and repercussions, I still loved it. It felt so good to be back in a classroom. I am hoping to sub one or two days a week, and really get a feel for the teachers and their classrooms. Kelton is begging me to teach his class next. And even though my life seems crazy and too full as it is, this is just too tempting to pass up. I love it.

No comments:
Post a Comment