Sunday, April 18, 2021

Here we go on the basement

It's been six years, so I guess it's time for a project like this again huh?  We have decided to finish our basement.  I really want a space where Cambrie can come and hang out with her friends and potential avoid annoying little siblings if they choose.  I want a space where our guests can have a space of their own.  And I want to have it done while our kids are still around to enjoy it.  So the first step is cleaning out the crawl space to make room for everything that will be stored in there for the next few months.  My knees are totally bruised, and my spine is unhappy with me for scratching it so often on the beams, but it's organized and ready.  



Daxton didn't mind me working in there when it means that I come out with treasures like big bouncy balls for him to play with!  


The first contractor we asked to give us a bid was super friendly and professional, but his bid came back three times higher than we expected.  We knew that costs had gone up, but not that high!  So Jeremy and I made the decision to do all the work ourselves again.  Truthfully we weren't looking forward to the months of labor this is going to require, but didn't think we had another choice.  We contacted Bob again, the contractor who helped us with our last basement, to see if he'd oversee us again.  When he came and looked at the space not only did he say that he'd help, he said that he could do the entire project for our original budget!  Jeremy and I can still help in whenever we want, with electrical or tiling, or wherever we feel like the kids can learn a skill, but now it's not completely on our shoulders.  We are both so relieved.  Bob is also a lot more available to begin than we expected.  We have one week to clean out the basement to prepare it for framing.  Holy smokes, time to get going!  Jeremy and I are still listed as the permit holders for the property, which means that I had to submit our plans to the city.  Seeing our floor plan design drawn up like this makes it feel so real.  Hopefully this project goes relatively smoothly, at least as smoothly as a basement remodel can go.
 

No comments: