After our races we typically like to do something just for the kids since they have spent the last six hours sitting around in the sun. It's hard work being a spectator and they deserve some fun points for that. While I had been racing they had apparently gone down to the beach for a bit. No one had their swimming suits on so they had just waded in the surf and splashed. What they really wanted to do was swim. We went back to the room to change then walked down to the beach. We had a hard time finding beach access since Ironman had blocked off a major portion of the beach for the race. But eventually we made it down past the barricades and went swimming. The beach was crowded, but I wasn't really surprised. The kids didn't want to spend time on the rocky beach, they wanted the waves. It's a pretty fierce beach with a pretty rough undertow. When those waves slam against the shore they're not slamming against sand, but fist sized rocks. Once or twice the boys got caught by the waves and were slammed pretty roughly against the shore. A really nice French woman let the kids use her floaties and as long as someone was holding onto those, it was the perfect solution.
I was so tired and sore I admired the view from my towel. I alternated between admiring my amazing smiling kids, and the view behind me.
We were in Old Nice and really close to Castle Hill. We had tried going up to Castle Hill yesterday but the roads were blocked which was why we ended up at Fort du Mount Alban. I realized that we were as close to the walking path to the top that we were going to get. So once the kids had enough splashing, we started walking towards the hill.
On the way we passed the #ILoveNice sign and I love this quick picture we took of the kids.
I couldn't believe the energy these kids still had. They all literally ran up the steps to the top of Castle Hill.
There were some pretty views, but I think my favorite part was the garden up top. I had heard a lot of travelers mention that it was one of their favorite places in Nice, and I can totally see why. There's a playground up there, trees, lawns, and a great waterfall. It would be a stellar place the spend the day with kids. Unfortunately the sun was starting to set and my tummy was rumbling.
Being statues
Being tightrope walkers
Being pirates
We made our way down the hill past the waterfall and an great cemetary, before finding ourselves in the streets of Old Nice.
Can I fall in love with Nice again? Is that possible? I loved the yellow and orange homes. I loved hearing the the church bells ringing. I loved the narrow winding streets.
There were cafes that were just setting out their dinner service, but we were in our swim stuff and didn't quite feel like we were dressed for the occasion. We compromised by getting some gelato and my taste buds felt like they were in heaven.
We licked our gelato as we continued walking and found where the local kids play. There was a playground not too far from T2 that was fabulous. I really wish I hadn't been starving because the kids could have spent a long time there playing with all the other kids.
Can you believe this sunset?! Ya, I'm hooked.


























No comments:
Post a Comment