After getting home from our vacation, I wasn't really ready to settle back down into everyday mode, or do Saturday morning chores. So when I saw an advertisement for a kids obstacle course down in Arvada, I didn't even think twice. We loaded up the kids and drove down for an adventure. Surprisingly, Natalie Tolley didn't want to be home alone on a Saturday either so she brought up the girls and joined us. It was weird seeing everyone in normal clothing and not extra padded from ski clothes. We checked in about an hour early which gave us plenty of time to walk around the expo and collect passport stamps.
Even though this cardboard cutout looked cheesy, it really almost looks like my boys are driving. That's a scene I don't want to see for another ten years!
At the start line all the kids put on their war paint while Daxton and I waited on the sidelines to cheer them on.
There was only one course no matter how old you were. It was about a 1.6 mile course and I had no idea if Kelton would be able to do it all on his own. I knew that Cambrie wanted to take off and win the wave. I knew that McKenzie would stick with Sophie. Kelton was on his own. I had planned to walk next to the course to offer encouraging words. That dude didn't need them. As soon as the buzzer sounded my kids took off.
I can't run with the backpack on so I just scooted after them expecting to catch up when they started walking. They never started walking! Cambrie was long gone and Kelton was just steps behind her. He was flying over the obstacles and didn't need me there at all. I followed for a bit then realized that the only way I was going to see these guys was if I turned around and walked the course backwards, which is what I did. I saw them climb fence, swing on ropes and then carry a heavy ball.
The kids look so tough!
I lost track of Cambrie for a bit and when I saw her again her face and hands were covered with blood! I was too far away to hear what she said, but she waved it off and kept going. She finished then checked herself into medical for a crazy bloody nose. I was so disappointed that I didn't get a picture of that. She said she smacked it on the crossbar of the slide.
I saw Kelton slide down the mudslide and started laughing. The mud looked fabulous, but he didn't like being muddy at all! He ran the rest of the way with his arms pulled out away from his body and kind of waddled through the course.
Cambrie came back for him and took him through the cargo net mud crawl. He's so short he could just crouch and didn't have to crawl through the mud at all.
I turned around to watch McKenzie coming through with Natalie and Sophie. When it was their turn for the mud, she slid down really slowly. Then, disappointed by how clean she still was, lowered herself belly first into the slop. It looked like high quality stuff!
Cambrie won the wave, by a lot.
Kelton ended up in the top 15, and McKenzie was just happy to finish. They were filthy once they were done. The race organizers weren't kidding when they said to bring an extra pair of clothes.
There was a hose off station where we did our best to spray them clean before changing near the car.




























No comments:
Post a Comment