Friday, November 23, 2018

The Nutcracker

This year we talked the Rogers into joining the Stratfords up in Ogden for the Nutcracker.  I knew that some of my Stratford cousins were going to be there, but I was so delighted to see not only the Mark Stratfords, but also my Grandma and all of the Kennedys!  We took a long time making our way to our seats because we just kept chatting.  While we were chatting I looked over and saw McKenzie trying to nap on the bench in the lobby.  I admit, at that point I didn't have very high hopes of her being able to make it through the entire performance without falling asleep.  Cousin Matthew to the rescue!  He had wisely stopped at a gas station on the way to the ballet and picked up a couple bags of candy.  He gave one to McKenzie with strict instructions to savor every bite to make them last the entire performance.  They were miracle gummies and she made it through the whole thing. 

 It was Ballet West's debut year with their new costumes and scenery.  It was enchanting.  I loved the changes with the the waltz of the flowers costumes, the flying sleigh, and the little puppet theater.  While much of the choreography remained the same, it felt like an entirely new experience.  Neither Alysha nor Cydney have been to the Nutcracker since they were kids, so for them it was entirely new.  I wish we would have taken a picture with the whole crew, as my mom and Camille were there too, but alas we'll just have to use our memories!


No comments: