Friday, October 22, 2010

Rock Creek Farm

It is official autumn here in Colorado.  Everywhere I turn there are red, orange or yellow leaves.  It is cool enough for sweaters, but still warm enough to enjoy the park.  And what's fall without a quick trip to the pumpkin patch?  So before Halloween is officially over, and before the predicted rains this weekend made a muddy mess out of the pumpkin fields, we headed to Rock Creek Farm to get our own, "U-pick-em" pumpkins.  

You drive your car right out into the pumpkin fields, park on the small dirt roads, and roam the fields until you find that one special pumpkin that's calling your name.  After the fields in Philadelphia, I was surprised by how brown and dry these fields were.  But there were pumpkins, and that makes it fun.  Cambrie was so excited to see all of the pumpkins that she just ran through the fields laughing her goofy laugh. 

She was still laughing when I took this sister picture.  

Whenever I set McKenzie down to get her pumpkin pose she just wanted to dig in the dirt.  The only remedy to that was to stand her up next to some other stacked pumpkins.  I'm glad I got a smiling picture before they toppled over. 

When you pull into the field, they recommend you grab a pumpkin saw to help cut your pumpkin off the vine.  Jeremy was excited to use his but was disappointed when we got out there and found that most of the pumpkins were loose.  So to make himself feel better he practiced his knife throwing into rotting pumpkins.  Unfortunately, one pumpkin was soft enough that the saw went right through the skin and Jeremy had to dig it out.  It was pretty gross.

I don't know how many pumpkins Cambrie wanted to take home, but she decided it had to be one that she could carry by herself-this one was too heavy. 

And I'm shocked by how well this family photo turned out.  It was just propped on a pumpkin. 

After we found the pumpkin we wanted to adopt, we drove to the play area near the exit.  There were inflatable jump castles and an inflatable slide to play on.  McKenzie couldn't join her sister inside, but was laughing at her having fun anyway. 

There was also a kid-sized hay bale maze that wasn't terribly difficult, but Cambrie couldn't find her way out.  She just ran around and was excited to be there.  I can't blame her for that.

She finally opted for running along the top of the bales, and trying her best not to let me catch her with my camera. 

And lastly we have our little pumpkin and scarecrow children smiling and anxiously awaiting the time they can paint and carve their pumpkins.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys always do fun activities as a family! You look like you are so happy there! You deserve it after all the time you put into primary! Thinking of you!

sara cardon said...

What a great day!! Colorado sounds so beautiful this time of year!! Cambrie is the cutest!

Alissa said...

Looks like so much fun!